Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Last Night's Dream: Posideon's Star

Ok, real quick because I have to run to class soon.

In last night's dream, I was somewhere on the coast probably somewhere in Florida. My mentor, Jeb, had contacted me to come down and spend a working vacation with him while they did some off-shore archaeology. Jeb's cool like that.

So we went out to look for the wreck of some ship and while we were out there another, more modern ship, came up along side us in the middle of the night. No one was at the helm, and no one was on deck. Jeb was freaked because sometimes he has problems with drug smuglers who are moving cargo into Miami so they don't like boats out in the middle of no-where watching their midnight rendezvous.

The ship was just a fishing boat of sorts; not too big and not too small. We crawled on board and tried to find out what had happened while the crew called the Coast Guard. Jeb and I went down to the galley to see if anyone was around. There was some food on the table but it looked a few hours old; like they had eaten and no one had cleared away the dishes yet.

When I took a seat at the galley table, I brushed away one of the plates to see that someone had someone had carved what I called a Sun Flower into the surface of the table. Jeb took a look at it and said that it was a Mariner's Compass. Once we had moved away the other dishes, it was clear that someone had drawn a map to something on the desk and recent enough that the wood was still raw from the process.

It got kinda garbly here, but when I got back into it, we were in the captain's cabin looking for any sign of a log or something that might tell what happened. While Jeb looked at their fishing cameras and other computers, I was sniffing out a book. I knew one was there; I could taste it.

Jeb reminded me that few captains kept an actual paper log anymore; it was all done with computers and GPS. I knew there was a book around there somewhere. I could almost hear it whispering.

So I took a seat behind the Captain's desk and played the "where would I hide something" game. Sure enough, within a moment or two, I found a false compartment above my head and within it was a book in a big zip-lock bag. When I opened it, the thing smelled of the sea; not salty but of mildew. This was the smell of the depths of the deep ocean - where the sun is afraid to go.

I assumed that it was something they fished out of the sea with their nets or something so I figured that it would be wet. Nope, bone dry. Just as though it was on the desk of some captain and ready to use, the book was in good condition.

The book was larger than one of my standard journals - probably a little smaller than the average Player's Handbook. It was originally a hard-cover book but it had softened through what I would imagine would be years of use. The cover was green-ish, the color of sea weed, with small brass triangles rivited to the corner. Dead in the center of the book was a stamp of a trident that was probably gold-leafed back in the day but had been worn off over the years.

I opened the cover and knew that it said "Posideon's Star" in a flourishing script. I say 'knew' and not 'read' because sometimes I can't read text in my dreams but I know what it says anyway.

Unfortunately, I woke up as soon as I opened the book. I heard someone scream "Laaaaaand" from somewhere on deck and that woke me up.

Weird.

Cool, but weird.

-T

No comments: